Sunday, November 16, 2008

Myrrine and Kinesias

One of my favorite parts of the play was the exchange between Myrrine and Kinesias. It says a lot about how the "War of the Sexes" is going and whos going to win, and without it I don't think it would really be clear how much power the women really did have over the men. The way Myrrine is able to get so close to Kinesias without doing anything really shows that she is in the fight for as long as it takes. She is able to lead him on so much and she never falters. Even though she obviously has a clear opportunity to have sex with him she doesn't! And he really thinks that she is going to thats the funny thing. And she is even controlling his actions because he is so desperate, making him lay down and get back up repeatedly. She just makes him want her more and more its so funny to me. She just has so much power over his actions and emotions. And she's still on the womans side showing how strong the womans "Army" really is, as a whole at least, considering it is clear not everyone on the womens side would have been so strong if given the same opportunity.

3 comments:

J. Braga said...

I thought Myrrhine and Kinesias were two the most interesting characters in the play and so was the exchange between them. Kinesias was like all of the other stereotypical men of the time as he could not go twenty-four hours without sex. In the end I thought it was pretty amusing how Myrrhine led him on into believing he was actually going to have sex with her, but she runs off in the end, leaving Kinesias even more sexually frustrated.

mayayayaya said...

I agree! I also believe that this scene helps to establish exactly how much power the women have over the men. The interaction between husband and wife clearly demonstrates the overall plan of the women and a woman is finally seen tempting a man as is plotted by the women earlier in the play.

Patti said...

Haha yess I agree as well... I really thought this was one of the funniest parts of the play and I really loved Myrrhine's character after I read it.. She was just so clever in what she did and I think her actions really caused changes to take place within the play.